Visitor Visas


VISITOR VISA Subclass 600

Other subclasses are ETA 601 and E-Visitor 651 (for passport holders of certain countries).

A person who is not eligible for ETA or E-Visitor visas can apply for subclass 600.

You might be able to get 600 visa if you are travelling to Australia:

  1. As a visitor
  2. for business visitor activities
  3. to visit family sponsored by an Australian relative

These visas are designed for tourist purposes, study (no more than 3 months), as well as to visit relatives and friends residing in Australia. This is the most common type of visitor visa.


You must satisfy the following criteria:

  • Have a genuine intention to travel to, and remain in, Australia as a genuine visitor;
  • Have access to adequate funds to support yourself during your visit;
  • Are of good character and health;
  • Have private health insurance (or equivalent) and a 'fitness to travel' certificate from a doctor if you are over 70 years of age.

Australian citizens and permanent residents can help friends or relatives who are applying for a visitor visa by sending them a letter or statutory declaration supporting the application.

Genuine Intention and the Risk Factors

All visitors to Australia must convince DHA that they are a genuine visitor who will not breach visa conditions, for example, by working or overstaying their visa.

To demonstrate a genuine intention to return home you should, where possible, show that you have financial, employment or other commitments that require you to return to your country, for example you could include with your application:

  • Any evidence of property ownership in your home country;
  • A letter from your employer or other evidence that you are taking a holiday from your job or business and are expected back at work at the end of your stay in Australia;
  • Evidence of any business or other substantial assets you own in your country of origin;
  • Evidence that you are studying and must return by a certain date.

All visitors to Australia must also demonstrate that they have adequate funds to support themselves during the length of their intended stay in Australia without resorting to work, including in a case of illness or an accident. 

However, there is no prescribed dollar amount to satisfy this requirement.

The following evidence may be used to convince DHA that you have adequate funds and don’t intend to work:

  • A purchased return ticket;
  • Private health and travel insurance;
  • Copies of bank statements, bankbooks or letters from banks and other financial institutions indicating your financial position;
  • Travellers’ cheques; and
  • Letters of support from friends or relatives in Australia indicating the nature and level of support they intend to provide.

Any person who wishes to visit Australia can apply for this visa.

The application is submitted to the nearest Australian Embassy.

Citizens of Armenia, Belarus, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan - apply online. Citizens of Russia – send application by mail to Australian Embassy in Moscow.

Read our helpful Blog article "If you were denied a tourist or student visa to Australia"

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

This visa is for passport holders of Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and United Kingdom.

This visa allows you to supplement the cost of your holiday through short-term employment. You can work in Australia for up to 6 months with each employer and study for up to 4 months.

The Working Holiday Visa entitles you to remain in Australia for a period of 12 months. 
You can apply for it online and get your visa within 48 hours at a cost of just 230 AUD.


You must satisfy the following criteria:

  • Hold a passport of the above-mentioned country;
  • Age - between 18 and 30 years inclusive;
  • Satisfy health and character requirements;
  • Do not have any dependent children;
  • Have not previously entered Australia as a Working Holiday maker;
  • Have sufficient funds to afford a return airfare and at least $AU5,000 to cover the initial part of your stay in Australia;
  • Possess reasonable skills to enable you to obtain temporary employment; and
  • Be outside Australia when you submit your application.

Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)

This visa is people who wish to work in Australia while on vacation and who hold a passport from the following countries: Argentina, Austria, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, United States of America, Uruguay, Vietnam.

This visa is intended for young people aged 18 to 30 who want to travel and work for 12 months in Australia. This visa allows you to supplement the cost of your holiday through periods of temporary or casual employment.


You may be eligible for this visa if you:

  • Are aged 18 to 30 years (inclusive) on the date of visa application;
  • Hold a passport of the above-mentioned countries;
  • Meet educational requirements (hold university qualifications, or have successfully completed at least two years of undergraduate university study);
  • Have functional English (IELTS) test result of at least 4.5 (not applicable to USA citizens);
  • Have a letter of support from your government (not required for USA passport holders);
  • Are not accompanied by dependent children;
  • Have not previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday (417) or Work and Holiday (462) visa;
  • Meet character and health requirements;
  • Have sufficient funds to afford a return airfare and at least $AU5,000 to cover the initial part of your stay in Australia.